Summer workshop on the theme "Vegetal Haiku"
10 - 14 July 2023
In this workshop we will explore the language of plants in a composition, drawing on haiku, a small Japanese poem dedicated to sensory experience and the present moment. The art of haiku is embedded in the time of the seasons and anchors us in our present and in our relationship with nature; just like painting.
This short, simple prose assembles images that come from our instant observation and sensation, and that feed the composition of the image.
- We will "pick the words" of a plant after immersing ourselves in a field of flowers.
- We will compose haikus from this encounter with the plant world and a particular flower.
- We will learn to compose an atmosphere, to find the balance of tones that absorb the other elements of the composition (surfaces, letters...).
- We will experience the words in the surface, the musicality of their lettering and the meaning they carry, and finally reveal their colours.
- We will work on the overall harmony of the composition composed of these different types of collected images.
Our tools will be watercolours, pigments, ink and the tools found in our experiments!